Basics of Gamification for Training Leaders
7 Key Elements of Game Dynamics
Gamification is turning out to be a preferred tool for Learning & Development professionals for corporate organization training.
To understand Gamification, let’s look at the definition of Gamification closely:
Gamification is the process of using gaming elements in non-game conditions with a purpose of reinforcing positive learning behavior.
What are 'Gaming Elements'?
Some of the most common elements in Game Mechanics are:
A. Game-like structure that includes
- 1.Milestones: Game structure requires milestones that player will need to complete or pass through.
- 2. Rules of play
- 3. Guide to winning the game
B. Game Dynamics
- 4. Points or scores/badges that refer to any accumulation on part of the learner as a result of progressing in a game.
- 5. Levels refer to different stages one can reach during the game
- 6. Obstacles/Challenge: Some tasks or events that lead to a change in scores or progress.
- 7. With others: That can be measured with score comparison with others. For example-Leaderboards. Leaderboards refer to a compilation of all player scores. It helps an individual see where they lie in comparison to other people.
- With self: One can compete with his previous scores or a benchmark of:
- Time Limit: How much progress has one made before the time ran out?
- An Event: How much time was taken for an event achievement?
What are 'Non-game Conditions'?
Any experience that does not contain above-mentioned game elements. These game-like structures are characteristics that give an aura of a game but do not follow the design of an actual game. There is a clear difference between gamification and serious game.
Download Free Book
Everything You Need to Design and Launch Your Own Gamification Program.
What is a 'Positive Learning Behavior'?
Any behavior that helps meets the learning objective of the experience. For example, a learner who answers correctly to a question being asked. During gamification, it becomes the subject of point/badge accumulation.
Are you confused about when you should turn to Gamification? Here are 4 scenarios when Gamification can come to your rescue! Read HERE
Gamification is a simple technique to turn any experience into a game-like experience. This makes learning not only
Further Reading On Gamification
1. Different Types of Gamification and Choosing the Correct Strategy- Both the terms-gamification and serious games are used interchangeably, but they are different. Learn what the difference between them is, what are their characteristics, and when should they be used.
2. Benefits of Gamification over E-learning- Get introduced to the TOP 10 reasons why training leaders are vouching for Gamification over e-learning.
3. Top 7 Key Gamification Elements and Employee Motivation- Do the 7 key gamification elements motivate learners in any way? Read what the research on motivation says.
4. Gamification Elements-Motivation-Psychological Perspective- What do the books of psychology say about motivation? How does this relate to our 7 gamification elements? Read to know the answer.
5. When to Use Gamification? Is gamification the magical elixir? Is it the solution to all the problems? Maybe not! Read the 4 situations that warrant the use of gamification.
6. How to Design a Successful Gamification Experience? What are the TOP 4 often overlooked gamification techniques that can make or break your gamification experience? Get the answer here to design an engaging gamification experience.
7. Implementing Successful Gamification Program- Get introduced to the “5-Step Method” of ensuring a successful gamification training campaign in your organization. Learn how to deliver right from planning, communicating, strategic partnership, to claiming success.