Why are Training Leaders Choosing Gamification Over E-learning?
Top 10 Benefits of Gamification
Gamification is quickly overtaking the plain vanilla e-learning. L&D professionals are realizing the art of choosing gamification to present their content in the most engaging manner. There are two ways in which content can be presented to a learner- Structural and Content Gamification. There are benefits of using both these forms of gamification. Let's take a deeper look at each of them.
Benefits of Using Structural Gamification Strategy
1. Gamification Story That Delivers a Buzz
Everyone loves a story especially the ones that capture their imagination and that has a hero they can relate with. Gamification template needs to have an engaging storyline that learners can visualize themselves being a part of it. It can range from a mountain expedition to a millionaire quiz game. You will always get a feedback on what your learners like the best. The impact of gamification is felt most in a hallway when employees talk about it.
2. Gamification Elements Drives Engagement with Employees of Every Generation
It is fun and it holds learners' attention due to its game-like structure. Most of the new generation employees have been around games for a good part of their childhood- gamification is more ideal for them. It allows them to be connected with the content. Engagement in the form of various game mechanics (points, badges, levels, etc.) makes the entire learning experience enriching. Also, it allows autonomy on the part of a learner to move forward and chart his own path.
3. Gamification Can Be Applied to All Kinds of Organization Training
Customer Service, Sales Training, Technical Training, New Hire Training, Leadership Training, etc. Gamification is applied successfully to all kinds of training needs.
Download Free Book
Everything You Need to Design and Launch Your Own Gamification Program.
4. Gamification Builds the Consistency of the Brand of Your Training
One gamification theme can be tweaked to any number of variations that can enable you to tell different stories and deliver training consistent with the overarching theme – Creating a reinforcement of your brand of training internally.
5. Gamification Elements Drive Employee Motivation
Achievement of points, badges by a learner as a testament to his progress provides encouragement and motivation to do better and more importantly leaderboard motivates employees to perform better when they know their name and reputation will be ranked with others for all to see. This in itself is the strongest motivator for high performance.
6. Gamification Provides Instant Feedback to Learners
With gamified courses, you offer instant feedback to your learners on their understanding of the course content. For example, imagine a learner facing a challenging question in a gamified course. In order to advance to the next level, he must answer it without fail because it teaches him a specific skill that will be useful in the upcoming levels. In such cases, feedback is given on why the answer is correct, or why it isn’t. What’s more, you allow them to promptly improve on those topics or concepts that they have trouble in understanding without having to go over a topic again and again.
7. Gamification Mechanics Can Deliver Customized Learning Experience
Gamified modules can adapt to each player’s individual skill level. Gaming mechanics like different levels and achievements can be created depending upon a player's skill levels and business gamification can follow suit. The most common form of leveling is Novice — Experienced — Expert — Master. If one of your employees is particularly ill-trained on a chosen topic, they may start at the lowest level (novice) and work their way up (Master). If they are well-versed on the subject, however, they may begin at a more intermediate level. Such strategy provides a customized learning experience responding to individual learning needs, all of this can be configured in Gamification template with ease.
Benefits of Using Content Gamification Strategy
8. Gamification Provides a Virtual Environment for Learning Skills
When employees can practice skills and behavior in a serious game and make mistakes, their learning curve won’t impact the overall business. Gamification lets learners make mistakes and explore the best way to succeed without the pressure of doing so in front of customers or on the practice floor. Gamifying training helps your employees build the skills they need to achieve business results. When people experience the virtual “first-hand” scenarios offered through gaming, they are better able to relate to that subject matter.
9. Scalable Simulations
All learning facilitators know that during the classroom training the most impactful learning time for a participant is during the role-play session. While it may be difficult to oversee role-play for every participant and provide feedback, simulations make it easy and automated for every learner in a fraction of a time.
See examples of Scalable Simulation Here. See how one company standardizes its feedback giving process by running a simulation across all leaders, while the company maintains that every leader is unique in its interactions, but also drives the messages of using correct process, language, and mindset. It is important for creating a consistent leadership experience for all employees.
10. Simulation Improves Decision-Making Skills
Gamification requires players to make frequent, important decisions. Humans learn best through trial and error. Even mistakes made are beneficial when the players learn from them and correct their form. In the business world, it is best to have your employees make their mistakes in this manner so they do not make them in reality.
Further Reading On Gamification
1. Basics of Gamification- Get introduced to all things that make up gamification- right from gamification definition to the 7 key gamification elements that make the gamification experience enchanting and engaging.
2. Different Types of Gamification and Choosing the Correct Strategy- Both the terms-gamification and serious games are used interchangeably, but they are different. Learn what the difference between them is, what are their characteristics, and when should they be used.
3. Top 7 Key Gamification Elements and Employee Motivation- Do the 7 key gamification elements motivate learners in any way? Read what the research on motivation says.
4. Gamification Elements-Motivation-Psychological Perspective- What do the books of psychology say about motivation? How does this relate to our 7 gamification elements? Read to know the answer.
5. When to Use Gamification? Is gamification the magical elixir? Is it the solution to all the problems? Maybe not! Read the 4 situations that warrant the use of gamification.
6. How to Design a Successful Gamification Experience? What are the TOP 4 often overlooked gamification techniques that can make or break your gamification experience? Get the answer here to design an engaging gamification experience.
7. Implementing Successful Gamification Program- Get introduced to the “5-Step Method” of ensuring a successful gamification training campaign in your organization. Learn how to deliver right from planning, communicating, strategic partnership, to claiming success.